Updated October 12, 2018
Understanding How Information Is Collected on TopicThought
Information You May Choose to Provide to Us
We may collect information, including personal data, directly from you if you choose to provide that information. For example, you may provide us with your name and contact information (such as an email address), date of birth, or other details of that nature, when you sign up for our newsletters or participate in contests, sweepstakes, or other promotions or surveys on the Site, or apply for a job with TopicThought.
You also may choose to provide personally identifiable information about yourself when you participate in forums or discussions or other Interactive Services on the Site. Please be aware that information you post may be viewed or captured by anyone who visits the Site, therefore you should avoid posting sensitive or personal data that you would not want to be available to the public.
Information That Is Automatically Collected When You Visit TopicThought
When you access the Site, we and our third-party partners and vendors may automatically collect certain information from your device or web-browser about your visit using tools such as cookies, web beacons, and other data collecting and tracking technologies to help us understand how our users use the Sites and to target advertising messages to you. We and our third-party partners and service providers may also collect and track information about your online activities over time and across different websites, applications, and devices using certain data matching techniques. The information collected automatically when you visit the Site may include your IP address, characteristics of your operating system, information about your browser and system settings, data about the computer or mobile device you use to access the Site, unique device identifiers, clickstream data (which shows the page-by-page path you take as you browse the Site). We or our third-party partners may combine information that each of us collects automatically with other information about you, including information you choose to provide.
Cookies and Tracking Technologies
To manage our automatic data collection, we may place tags (often referred to as “web beacons” or “pixel tags”) and other tracking mechanisms on pages on the Site, in videos, or in emails we send to you. Web beacons are small files that link web pages to particular web servers and their cookies, and they may be used for a variety of purposes, such as counting the number of visitors to the Site, analyzing how users navigate around the Site, assessing how many emails that we send are actually opened and which articles or links are viewed by visitors.
We also use third-party web analytics services, such as Google Analytics, on the Site to provide us with statistics and other information about visitors to the Site.
“Do Not Track” Signals. Your browser settings may allow you to automatically transmit a “do not track” signal to websites and online services you visit. At this time there is no consensus among industry participants as to the meaning of “do not track” in this context. Like many other websites, TopicThought.com is not configured to respond to “do not track” signals from browsers
Finally, companies that provide certain third-party apps, tools, widgets, and plug-ins that may appear on the Sites (for example, Facebook “Like” or “Share” buttons) also may use automated means to collect information regarding your interactions with these features. This information collection is subject to the privacy policies or notices of those third parties.
Information We Receive From Other Sources
We may supplement the information we collect with information from third-party partners and service providers, including data brokers, customer acquisition vendors, and other companies that collect contact and consumer information such as demographic and interest data, outside sources in order to learn more about our users, to better tailor the content and offers we make available to you, and for other lawful business purposes. We may receive this information about you from third parties, including without limitation data resellers and advertisers. We may combine the information we receive from those other (online and offline) sources with information we collect through the Site.
Social Network and Platform Integration
How We May Use Information We Collect
We (and our partners) may use the information gathered on TopicThought for various purposes, including the purposes listed below. For example, if you were to contact us with a question and provide your email address, we would use the email address you provided to respond to your inquiry.
In addition, we use information we collect from you and through the Site to:
- Provide products and services you request (such as when you sign up to receive our email newsletters) or that we otherwise believe would interest you, including promotional offers from us and our third-party partners;
- Respond to requests, questions, and comments, and provide other types of user support and customer care;
- Offer you products and services, or direct you to portions of this Site or other websites, that we believe may interest you;
- To serve advertising, content and offers to you based on your interests and online activities, from us or third parties;
- Customize content, features, advertisements or other marketing messages we and third parties show you, both on the Site and elsewhere online;
- Process and reply to applications for employment with TopicThought;
- Communicate about, and administer your participation in, events, programs, contests, sweepstakes, and other offers or promotions;
- Carry out, evaluate, and improve our business (which may include without limitation developing new features for the Site; analyzing and enhancing the user experience on the Site; assessing the effectiveness of our marketing and advertising; and managing our communications);
- Perform data analytics regarding usage of the Site (including market and customer research, trend analysis, financial analysis, and anonymization of personal data);
- Guard against identity theft, and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims, and other liabilities;
- Comply with applicable legal requirements, law enforcement requests, and our company policies; and
- For other purposes that are disclosed at the time you provide your information, with your consent.
How We May Share Information
Our agents, vendors, consultants, and other service providers may have access to information we collect through the Site to carry out work on our behalf. Those parties are subject to confidentiality obligations and are restricted from using personal data collected through the Site for purposes other than to provide the requested assistance.
In addition, we may share information:
- With our affiliates for internal business purposes;
- With third parties for marketing purposes, including social media networks, data management platforms, and other advertising technology providers; for example, we may match your email address with third parties with whom you have also consented to share your email address and use such match to deliver custom offers or emails to you on the Sites and elsewhere online;
- If we are required to do so by law, regulation, or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena);
- In response to requests from government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities;
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity;
- With respect to analytics and statistical information, to inform advertisers about the nature of our user base;
- In the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including a reorganization, dissolution, or liquidation); and
- With your consent or at your discretion.
Unsubscribe from emails.
To unsubscribe from a particular newsletter, click the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of that email newsletter. If you would like to globally opt-out from ALL TopicThought email campaigns, please send an email to [email protected] with “Unsubscribe” in the subject line. When we send newsletters and marketing messages to subscribers we may allow advertisers or partners to include messages in those newsletters, or we may send dedicated newsletters on behalf of those advertisers or partners. We may disclose your opt-out choices to third parties so that they can honor your preferences in accordance with applicable laws.
Disabling local shared objects (“Flash cookies”).
We may use other kinds of local storage that function similarly, but are stored in different parts of your computer from ordinary browser cookies, including Flash cookies placed on your device or web browser via the Adobe flash plug-in. Your browser may allow you to disable its HTML5 local storage or delete information contained in its HTML5 local storage. Click here for details about deleting information contained in “local shared objects” or adjusting related preferences.
Options concerning third-party ad networks.
For more information about third-party ad networks and services that use these technologies, you can visit www.aboutads.info and click here to opt out or to learn more about your options. You also may visit the NAI’s site for additional options on how to opt out of interest-based advertising.
How We Protect Personal Data.
We maintain appropriate administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal data you provide against accidental, unlawful, or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure, or use. That said, it is not possible to guarantee the security of information transmitted online, and you assume some risk with regard to the security of information you provide through any website, including this Site. If you have a data security inquiry, you may contact us by emailing [email protected] To request an invite to our bug bounty program to submit reports on vulnerabilities found on TopicThought.com, you may contact us by emailing [email protected]
Links From TopicThought to Other Sites.
On this Site, we may provide links to other websites that are controlled by third parties. Linked websites may have their own privacy notices or policies, which we strongly suggest you review. We are not responsible for the content, usage terms, privacy policies of websites that we do not own or control.
Surveys and Quizzes
This Site is not designed or intended for use by children, and we do not knowingly collect personal data from children under the age of 16. If we become aware that we have collected personal data from a child under the age of 16, we will delete any such information.
Information for Users Outside the United States.
Your personal data may be stored, transferred and processed in and to the United States and in other countries by our affiliates and/or service providers. The data protection laws in these countries may provide a lower standard of protection for your personal data than your country of residence. We take great care in protecting your personal data and have put in place adequate mechanisms to protect it when it is transferred internationally. We will transfer your personal data in compliance with applicable data protection laws and will implement suitable safeguards to ensure that your personal data is adequately secured by any third party that will access your information (for instance, by using the Model Clauses as approved by the European Commission).
If you have questions or wish to obtain more information about the international transfer of your personal data or the implemented safeguards, please send us an email to [email protected]
How to Contact Us.
If you have questions about this policy or about our privacy practices, you may contact us by emailing [email protected]
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area inquiring about your rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), please include “GDPR privacy rights request” in the subject line of your email.
You may also write to:
TopicThought Privacy (Morning Fog, Inc.)
PO Box 14672
Jackson, WY 83002
If you are located in the European Economic Area (EEA):
1. Controller of your Personal Data
2. Legal Bases for Using Personal Data
We process your personal data only if we have a legal basis to do so, including:
- to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations;
- for the performance of our contract with you or to take steps at your request before entering into a contract;
- for our legitimate interests or those of a third party;
- where you have given consent to our specific use.
3. Retention of Personal Data
4. Data Subject Access Rights
You have the following rights:
- Right of access to your personal data: You have the right to ask us for confirmation on whether we are processing your personal data, and access to the personal data and related information.
- Right to correction: You have the right to have your personal data corrected, as permitted by law.
- Right to erasure: You have the right to ask us to delete your personal data, as permitted by law.
- Right to withdraw consent: You have the right to withdraw consent that you have provided.
- Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority: You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority in the member state of your habitual residence.
- Right to restriction of processing: You have the right to request the limiting of our processing under limited circumstances.
- Right to data portability: You have the right to receive the personal data that you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and you have the right to transmit that information to another controller, including to have it transmitted directly, where technically feasible.
- Right to object: You have the right to object to our processing of your personal data, as permitted by law, under limited circumstances.
To help us maintain the resources needed to create the quality content you deserve, we accept advertisements on our Site. We greatly value transparency and hope that this policy leaves you feeling even more confident about the content and service we provide.
TopicThought maintains a distinct separation between advertising and editorial content.
- All advertising or sponsored content on TopicThought is clearly and unambiguously distinguished from editorial content through borders or other distinguishing elements and/or identified as an “Ad,” “Advertisement,” “Sponsored” or a similar designation indicating that the content is being provided by or on behalf of an advertiser or sponsor.
- All “native” ads or paid content are identified as an “Ad,” “Advertisement,” “Sponsored” or a similar designation indicating that the content is being provided by or on behalf of an advertiser or sponsor.
- Editorial content on TopicThought is not influenced by advertisements unless the content is sponsored content, in which case, the content will be clearly demarcated and/or identified with the title “Ad,” “Advertisement,” or “Sponsored”, or a similar designation, indicating that the content is being provided by or on behalf of an advertiser or sponsor.
- Drugs/Alcohol/Tobacco. Ads may not promote illegal drugs, illegal substances, abuse of prescription drugs, use of Alcohol (except for beer and wine), or tobacco products, or any related paraphernalia thereto. Lawful products and services which promote quitting tobacco related products are permitted.
- Weapons/Violence. Ads may not promote the use, distribution, or making of firearms, ammunition, explosives, pyrotechnics or other weapons. Ads may not promote violence, cruelty, or physical or emotional harm to any person or animal.
- Illegal Activities/Gambling. Ads may not promote any illegal or other questionable activities which may be illegal in one or more jurisdictions, including without limitation hacking, counterfeiting, or other activities that may violate the intellectual property, privacy, publicity, or contractual rights of others. Ads may not contain or promote content related to scams, financial schemes, pyramid schemes or other fraudulent or illegal financial or investment opportunities. Ads may not promote casinos, gambling, betting, numbers games, sports or financial betting. Ads promoting state lotteries are permitted.
- Hate/Intolerance/Discrimination. Ads may not contain or promote hate speech, personal attacks, or discrimination toward any individual, group, country or organization.
- Obscenity/Indecency/Profanity. Ads may not contain or promote any obscene, indecent, profane or offensive words, images, sounds, videos or other content.
- Political/Religious. Ads may not contain hostile, offensive, inflammatory or hateful speech related to political or religious topics or groups. Ads may not exploit controversial political, social, or religious issues for commercial purposes.
- Sexual/Adult Content. Ads may not include full or partial nudity, depictions of people in explicit positions, or activities that are overly suggestive or sexually provocative. Ads will not contain text or images exposing anyone or anything involved in explicit sexual acts or lewd and lascivious behavior. Ads may not promote escort, dating, erotic massage, pornography, or other sexual products or services.
- Disparagement/Defamation. Ads may not contain disparaging or defamatory information or content which tends to harm the reputation of TopicThought or any other individual, group, or organization.
- Gross Depictions. Ads may not contain or promote content that is crude, vulgar, degrading or likely to shock or disgust.
- Militant/Extremism. Ads may not contain or promote extremely aggressive and combative behaviors or unlawful political measures, including individuals or groups advocating violence as a means to achieve their goals.
- Sensitive Content. Ads may not target sensitive categories such as financial status, certain medical conditions, mental health, criminal record, political affiliation, age, racial or ethnic origin, religious or philosophical affiliation or beliefs, sexual behavior or orientation, or trade union membership.
- Free Goods/Services. Ads may not distribute or promise to distribute any free goods and services.
- Targeted at Children. Ads may not specifically target children, including through cartoons or other similar content.
- Unverifiable Claims. Ad’s may not make confusing claims that reasonable consumers cannot readily understand and evaluate.
- Before/After Images. Ad may not depict “before and after” images or images that contain unexpected or unlikely results.
- Health/Safety Claims. Ads may not promote actions likely to harm one’s health, such as bulimia, anorexia, binge drinking, or drug use. Ads may not make health claims that are not clearly substantiated. Advertisers may be required to submit supporting documentation to substantiate their products’ claims.
- Misleading/False/Deceptive. Ads may not contain any information or content that is potentially misleading, false, or deceptive, including content which is meant to deceptively generate clicks such as fake “close” buttons.
- Competitive to TopicThought/Affiliates. Ads may not promote direct competitors of TopicThought or any of its parent, affiliate, subsidiary or other related entity.
- Audio/Animation. Ads may not include overly disruptive audio or animation that plays automatically.
- Popups/Downloads. Ads may not include lead ads, floating layers, pop-ups, surveys, or any digital downloads.
- Malicious Software. Ads may not contain malicious code, software or viruses, including malware, spyware, adware, stealware, or Trojan horses.
- Separation. Ads must contain clear boarders and be displayed so they are unmistakably not part of TopicThought’s editorial site content.
- Phishing. Ads may not trap or trick a user into providing money or any account, personal or other sensitive information.
- Compatibility. Ads must function uniformly on both Apple and PC formats, as well as all major Internet browsers.
- Independence. Ads may not appear to compromise or influence TopicThought’s editorial independence from Advertisers.
- Endorsements. Ads may not create or imply the existence of any endorsement by TopicThought of any product, service or organization.
- Proprietary Rights. Ads may not violate any copyright, trademark, trade-secret, patent, publicity, privacy, or other proprietary rights of TopicThought or any third party. Advertisers may not alter or interfere with the readability or display of any TopicThought trademarks, service marks, logos, designs or slogans.
- Data Collection/Use. Ads may not include open-box forms to register users or collect any data. Ads may not collect and sell or license any data or mailing lists regarding TopicThought users without TopicThought’s express permission. Advertisers may not collect any personally identifiable information from TopicThought users or place any cookies, applets or other similar files, if those files transmit any personally identifiable information to Advertisers, on desktop computers or mobile devices of TopicThought users. Advertisers must handle data with appropriate care, not misuse any data which they are permitted to collect, nor collect any data for unclear purposes or without appropriate security measures.
Ecommerce and Affiliate Links Disclosure.
Contributors and/or TopicThought may receive compensation for participation in third-party affiliate marketing programs, including purchases made through links to TopicThought’s e-commerce partners, if any. Pages on the Site containing affiliate marketing links, including product reviews, will be demarcated and/or identified with a disclaimer.
Ads may not contain or promote the following:
Advertisers and Ads must adhere to the following:
Landing Pages. Landing pages associated with Ads must correspond to the Ads “call to action” and not engage in “bait and switch”.